Wednesday 19 March 2014

Double Page Spread (Final) Analysis and thought process

I decided that I would change the main image, as it felt quite unprofessional, unclear, ill-lighted and didn't fit the page in my opinion. Peer feedback also confirmed this, as they felt it was too large and detailed in the background to retain some professionalism, however this image featured a fairly blank background, clear face and hands, much sharper and was generally nicer to look at. You can also see the model's hair with more clarity, which is a theme I have made constant throughout. I took this image from my first photoshoot. I have also drawn, with a paint brush styled brush tool, a few little splashes of colour fitting into the genre's idea of messiness and vandalism, while also linking back to the artist and her subtle persona as cheeky and mischievous. In addition, I placed a slightly tattered quote to fit with the article, which I have been told with feedback looks nice and fits with the page. Although the colour clashes slightly with the red, the reasoning behind it (the model's hair and her association with the colour blue) compensates for this. I also added page numbers to the pages, as well as a black background I have used previously.

The second page featured the standard 3 column setup, which was used but not evident with the first page of the double page spread. I decided that I would fill the top of the page with upcoming gig dates, as this was something my target audience liked to see in a magazine, and decided to attach chains from it to the columns below for a link between the objects to establish some kind of mess amongst the order and alignment for the feel of a metal magazine. The quotes I made red to include some of the colour from the small range I have used so far and maintain the house style, as well as lightening the speech marks against the black borders I created for visibility. I also decided that the questions needed to be a different colour to stand out amongst the body of text, and blue was the choice I made as it links back to the artist and was easy to read. I also added a few more chains to help carry on the theme, and placed an image of the artist in the bottom right-hand corner. The image featured her guitar and seemed appropriate.Feedback has confirmed a few of my choices, such as the column changes, chains, colour choices and gig dates section at the top, however they disagreed with my font choice, however it could not stay the same as what I had previously used as it was far too hard to read; the new font used for the interview and standfirst stood out well and was wide enough to read with clarity. I also decided that I would type her speech almost exactly as it was said, using words and phrases such as "s'fine", as I felt that this brought truth to her words, and allowed for an informal approach that could form a link with the reader. As a final tweak, I weakened the drop shadow of some of the text, and increased the brightness of the white boxes of each of the pages (I have also added a last minute chain along the joining line between the pages, as the difference in colour didn't look right without any form of separation or transition, according to my audience. This chain may not be shown on my evaluation as I am analyzing the pages separately, and so the pages may look odd when split in half).

No comments:

Post a Comment